Monday, October 31, 2022

A couple more paintings/drawings

So I am continuing to bang out these very small drawings and paintings. I have finally reached a lull in the freelance work (that has been a surprisingly big thing in the last 6 months). So the time is there, and the motivation(s).
  1. Gifts for friends. I can slot these into the little 7cm square books I found at Artery, with some ephemera and nonsense.
  2. Instagram. I think some of these are nice and they tie in (and are often based on) the photos I post all the time of landscapes and buildings and weird corners. And I love to have a nice Instagram profile to scroll back through but I also enjoy the positive comments which are nice without being too gushy. I don't think I'd ever make a thing of posting art on Twitter or Facebook – which are places for arguing (T) and getting rid of furniture (F).
  3. It just feels good to be making art, and this is low-stress, low-cost and very portable. Work is quiet at the moment and because the whole kit takes up hardly any space I can easily squeeze in a bit of a paint at my desk. Living the dream! 
I am trying not to second-guess the whole posting-to-Insta-and-enjoying-approval thing. Whatever gets you making art is good, right?

The wide paintings below are about 130mm x 65mm, designed to be cut in half* or folded and slotted into the little square scrapbooks.

Bowen Rd, Lutana and Mt Direction

Opposite All Saints, South Hobart

Liverpool Street, West Hobart

T&G and SBT buildings from Trafalgar car park

*I can't really imagine now cutting them in half

A nice things about the tiny scale is when you scan/photograph the work and look up close it paradoxically seems quite loose and free, thanks to my shaky hands and being out of practice.



No comments: