Thursday, December 13, 2012

Catharsis on hold

I have done some work for a local ad agency in the last couple of weeks. Someone that they rely on went on holiday unexpectedly, and they needed someone else to very quickly whip up animated banner ads for an online bottle shop, using Christmas as an excuse to flog beer, wine and spirits over the net. Luckily I have been doing a lot of volunteer work lately so I am in karma kredit.

I was on the phone to them at one stage, when the lady I was speaking to had to put me on hold for about two minutes. It seems they use national youth radio station Triple J for their hold music, so I got a quick window into what’s hot for the 18-25 demographic right now. For about 90 seconds I got this;
RADIO: “RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHHH! RAAAAAAAAAAGH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!! AAAARRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!  AAARRRGH!!! ARGH!!!” (accompanied by standard metal-ish superfuzz guitar abuse).
DJ: “Wow! Wow. I’ve got chills. That’s so raw, such real pain. Cathartic. Oooh. I’m in tears right here, it’s all so real. Phew. Wow.”

Then “Are you there? Sorry, I'll have to get him to call you - bye!”

No comments: