Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Opening up old photos



I have been training a documentary film-maker over the last few weeks, showing her ways to make good use of stills in her film. She is getting these amazing pics from the State Library of Victoria archives. It's her project, not mine, so I don't want to say too much about it at this stage. And just for my own clip I have protected the identity of these fellows (pointless really as it's not recorded who they are).

Anyway – this is one of 3 examples I have made for her to use in her film trailer.

  • In Photoshop I separated the foreground layers from each other and the background
  • faked up all the important parts that were hidden in the original (this is the hard part)
  • used AfterEffects to move the layers apart in 3D space so it's like a wafer
  • then rotated that wafer so that the 3D space is visible, with layers moving across each other
It's the most fun I have had at work in ages.


No comments: