Wednesday, November 20, 2019

A StreetView walk around Cooee, in ten parts

On a slow day at work, I got onto Google StreetView for a look around Cooee.
It must have been an outlying village at one time but is now an outer suburb of Burnie.
I grew up in Burnie and went to high school in Cooee. I walked up and down
the highway between the two countless times. It's very pretty in a way
that really didn't impress me at the time, I don't think.

St David's Anglican church, Poke St.
Dad usually went to church at St George's in Burnie
but sometimes came out here.
Looks like it's for sale now.

Was this once Ted Eustace (Ted Useless) Motors? It looks haunted.
It seems amazing to me now, how much we took the
ever-present backdrop of the sea for granted. 

Cooee Railway Station? Or just a siding?

Above and below: site of the Cooee Saleyards

Above and below: Cooee Saleyards 1953, from Tas Archives.
I came here once with my mate Macca and his father.
I don't think I'd ever seen livestock close up, and was quite alarmed
at the way the cows just wandered around casually shitting everywhere.
Dogs are more embarrassed and apologetic. 

This was a watershed in Cooee development, a 2-storey servo!
As I recall it was the project of Burnie's only millionaire, Lloyd Bonney.
Now looks like it's a medical centre or something.

Cooee Point looking over to Table Cape.
My high school friend Daffy lived in this street, I can't place his house now.
Between his back fence and the rocks ran the railway line.
He had an air rifle and it was my first firearm experience, shooting cans.

A house in Saundridge Rd, near the high school.
This was my route walking and sometime riding to school,
although we were probably dropped off by Dad more often.

Rev's shop across the road from Burnie High.
Sold chips to generations of spotty teenagers.
According to Jacki, Mr Rev applied the cooking oil to his hair.
Any suggestions what the ghost sign says?

I used to be in the Burnie Municipal Band
and we had a fundraising dance here one year.
All I remember is my stint taking money on the door
while studying for a 20th Century History exam.

The former Les Clark Oval. Our school athletics carnivals were here,
and this is where I did Little Athletics. I remember an epic high jump head-to-head
that went on and on as it got darker and darker until someone missed their jump,
probably me. The grandstand is now demolished and half of the oval
sealed for the car park, other half now a bowls club.
I only discovered this today.



No comments: