Sunday, November 10, 2019

Letter to Ibey

In April 1974 I had recently started primary school. About five weeks had passed since my 6th birthday and I wrote this letter to my grandmother Ibey, Dad's mother. She lived in Launceston, 2 hours drive away, but was visiting her other grandchildren in Sydney.

The spelling is terrible but in quite an interesting way. How was I hearing the word "hope" that I thought it might have a w in it? Note that after writing "preznts" I went back and added the e that was obviously needed between t and s. Were my other presents "vere niys"? I really don't recall now. 

I still stand by "Fised" as the name for that subject; I remember fairly clearly learning that it actually was nothing to do with soft drinks. 

Thank you Ibey, for keeping my letter for the rest of your life. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


No comments: