Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Birthday - part B2 (the prequel): wayfinding

I just remembered a sign I saw at Melbourne Airport. Alex, who was picking me up, is an information designer, and very interested in wayfinding, which "…encompasses all of the ways in which people and animals orient themselves in physical space and navigate from place to place." - thanks Wikipedia. So I needed to go to the toilet, but was running late to be picked up by Alex out the front of the terminal. The toilets down the long, long concourse were all closed for cleaning anyway.

I was about to go down an escalator, and through one-way security barrier, when I saw a laser printed A4 sign taped to the escalator.

THE TOILETS ARE BEHIND YOU
AT GATES 2, 6 AND 10.
THERE ARE NO TOILETS DOWNSTAIRS!
EXCEPT...

And that's where I stopped reading, as my momentum was carrying me down the escalator and there were people behind me. At the bottom I turned right and there were the toilets, where they have always been. I wish I had stopped to read what the exception at the end was.

No comments: