Saturday, August 27, 2011

Miller's Thump

I was browsing (as you do) through a tattered old Italian/English dictionary we have. I don't speak Italian but I like to silently mouth the words to myself on quiet Saturday mornings.

Ghiozzo is translated as meaning "miller's thump". Intriguing. What is a miller's thump? Something like a baker's dozen? Well, there are only 9 google hits for the term. According to the University of Washington it’s this:

Scientific name Uranidea tenuis
Google suggests that maybe I mean "miller's thumb". It has 224,000 of those, including this one at Barbel Fishing World.

Looks like the babel fish from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
 Wikipedia has a not-so-good photo but adds the information;
The bullhead (Cottus gobio) is a freshwater fish that is widely distributed in Europe, mainly in rivers. It is a member of the Cottidae family, a type of sculpin. It is also known as the miller's thumb, freshwater sculpin, common bullhead or European bullhead.
 So - different fish perhaps. But I prefer miller's thump. You know - it's a type of sculpin.

No comments: