Sunday, May 29, 2011

Go full glitz

Today in the local paper a lady was complaining about all the Facebook hate mail she gets for encouraging her 5 year old to participate in beauty pageants. She says “I just don't understand what I am doing wrong!”, as her daughter cavorts in a $600 rhinestone bodice that Nan bought over the internet. They love watching a show I had never heard of called Toddlers and Tiaras.* Her kiddie copies the walks and smiles of the girls on the show. Also Mum says “with her lovely olive skin she'll never need a spray tan, though I often catch her playing at spray tanning, using our hair dryer.” I don't have daughters, so maybe I just don't get it, but the idea of a 5 year old copying smiles from TV shows and being encouraged to do so, freaks me out.

*Synopsis of a typical T & T episode: Tiny Miss USA is in Mississippi. Kragen, 8, has something to prove this time, vying for the elusive Tiny Miss crown she calls "the one that got away." Bayleigh, 5, is excited to go full glitz for the first time, while McKenzie, 7, is hoping to win big as well.

No comments: