Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Christmas beetles two weeks late

The christmas beetles suddenly appeared on Sunday. We met some friends at the beach - Marcus' buddy Ruben and his family. I was standing shin deep in the water with Ruben's dad Ron. Something whirred past in my peripheral vision. I stuck out my hand reflexively and knocked a fat, iridescent orange beetle into the sea. I rescued him, and in no time he had been adopted by the kids as a pet. He had beautiful furry-looking antennae. Before we left the beach, Ruben's sister built him a lovely sunny platform in the sand, to sit on and dry out.

On our way back up the hill we found two green christmas beetles (one alive and kicking, one trodden on and deceased). The tinsel might have been packed away, but the beetles are carrying on regardless.

No comments: