- Beardstown - Watermelon Capital
- Bloomington–Normal together - Blo-No
- Buffalo Grove - The Gymnastics Capital of Illinois
- Chester - The Home of Popeye
- Chicago - The City of the Big Shoulders (For more Chicago nicknames see List of nicknames for Chicago, obviously.)
- Collinsville - Horseradish Capital of the World
- Crystal Lake - A Good Place to Live
- DeKalb - Barbed Wire Capital of the World
- Griggsville - Purple Martin Capital of the World
- Huntley - The Friendly Village with Country Charm
- Joliet - City of "Snap and Progress"
- Marion - Hub City of the Universe
Some notes on Marion, in southern Illinois. It was founded in 1839 and now has a population around 17,000. Ten people died in a tornado in 1982. It has had the same mayor since 1963. Nineteen sixty three!
I thought perhaps it had an automotive parts industry or even bike parts - as an explanation for the 'Hub' nickname. As this doesn't seem to be the case, I can only accept that Marion is in fact, as it claims, the Hub City of The Universe.