Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Social media watershed

I don't actually know what a watershed is, I realise. Apart from the literal meaning of "a shed full of water" and the not-made-up real literal meaning of "rain catchment area of a river or creek".
  1. watershed
    ˈwɔːtəʃɛd/
    noun
    1. 1.
      an area or ridge of land that separates waters flowing to different rivers, basins, or seas.
    2. 2.
      an event or period marking a turning point in a situation.
      "these works were a watershed in the history of music"

Ah, the second one - I am at a watershed in my social media use. Twitter is a terrifically fun time-drain and echo chamber. Facebook is sort of like flipping through a magazine about dogs, cats, holidays and progressive activism while you wait for the doctor, except all the articles are written by your friends and family. Instagram is; well its really for people with smartphones.

I have spent a week or so trying to be an Instagrammer but the camera on my iPad is no good, and you can't upload images from a desktop computer without crappy workarounds.  Yesterday I used my iPad to video stuff off the computer screen to put on Instagram, which had a pleasingly punk production value but you get sick of that pretty quick. On here I can do it this way which is reasonable quality.



My scruffy drawings do not gain any more charm from being lo-res and blurry. And not blurry in that arty Instagram filter way, just badly photographed with a telephone from 2009. I broke all sorts of Instagram etiquette rules by posting my paintings from the 1990s.

So, I will continue to put my non-commercial imagey stuff here on the blog. My criteria for inclusion is not that it's 'good' but more that it is useful for me to have as a reference and you might also find it interesting.









No comments: