Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Merchant Navy Ranks

Here are some of the Australian Merchant Navy ranks I found listed. I am keen to know what the hell some of these folks actually DID. Donkeyman Greaser? Come on!

As some ranks are patently made up to embarrass those who were saddled with them, I thought I'd join in. I have added one that I made up myself. Please email me if you think you know which one.

Bosun
Cattleman
Cleaner
Deck Attendant
Deck Boy
Deck Man
Donkey Man
Donkeyman Greaser
Donkey Boy
Extra Purser
Fireman Greaser
Fireman Trimmer
Fireman Wiper
Foam Steward
Galley Boy
Greaser
Hairdresser
Linen Keeper
Messman
Motorman
Musician
Night Watch
Oil Burner
Pantry Man
Room Boy 
Saloon Boy
Scullion
Section Man
Wiper
Youngman

As I would no longer qualify as a Youngman I think I would probably settle for being a Scullion. I believe that involves polishing the figurehead's nose.

No comments: