Friday, November 28, 2008

Knackered 13 drew with Mickey's Boys 13

I went to a podiatrist during the week, which was a new thing. I think it was the drummer out of Jet - or possibly the bass player from The Drones. The hair, you know. Very confident and proficient young guy. In his opinion my right big toe is "on the blink". I bought some new soccer shoes today from a proper sports gear shop, with proper advice and a proper fittitng - I can't remember the last time I did that. The pod man is making orthotics for me (in Richmond club colours). I am finally taking my feet seriously. I always believed you got a new pair when you turn 50, but apparently that's a furphy.

So the new shoes went OK. I had a couple of weeks off after the final we lost, and I was huffing and puffing right from the word go tonight. We got out to 7-2 in front, their goalie was very leaky. They had a bit of a run on, we froze up and next thing it was 7-7. They had one very strong player, the eponympos Mickey. He had a hell of a boot, and probably scored 10 or 11.

I think we were one up with one minute to go when they scored. I took the ball from the kickoff, beat two blokes and was just winding up to shoot when the hooter went. Probably a fair resut on balance.

No comments: