Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I have grown a beard which is generally admired

Below are some example of ANARE code - developed to save space on telegrams sent home by Australians working in Antarctica. There are many categories, such as Weather, Health, Affectionate Phrases and Miscellaneous, which includes the following:

YIHPY Hello and how are you
YIGIK All your friends ask me to send their regards and best wishes
YIGJE Best wishes from all here
YIJNO I have grown a beard
YIGUM I have grown a beard which is awful
YIGYN I am not sure whether (to)
YIHEK Think I (we) ought
YIKOP Looking forward to seeing you (in)
YIKPO This place gives you a pain at times
YIKYR This place gives you a pain at times but its worth it
YIHKE I have grown a beard which is generally admired
YIHMO I have grown a beard but think I'll shave it off before I get back to Australia

No comments: