Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lets learn Luxembourgish!

Here is the entire list of handy Luxembourgish phrases and words provided by Wikipedia.
  • Jo. Yes.
  • Neen. No.
  • Vläicht. Maybe.
  • Moien. Hello.
  • Gudde Moien. Good Morning.
  • Gudde Mëtteg. Good Afternoon.
  • Gudden Owend. Good Evening.
  • Äddi. Goodbye.
  • Merci. Thank you.
  • Firwat? Why
  • Ech weess net. I don't know.
  • Ech verstinn net. I don't understand.
  • Watgelift? or Entschëllegt? Excuse me?
  • Metzleschjong. Butcher's son.
  • Schwätzt dir Däitsch/Franséisch/Englesch? Do you speak German/French/English?
  • Wéi heeschs du? What is your name?
  • Wéi geet et? How are you?
  • Politeschen Anstand. Political Decency
  • Sou. So.
  • Fräi. Free.
  • Heem. Home.
  • Ech. I.
  • An. and/in.
  • Mäin. my.
  • Iesel. donkey.
  • Mat. With.
  • Kand. Kid/Child.
  • Wee. Way.
  • Gromper. Potato.
Now - your homework is to translate these ordinary sentences into Luxembourgish.
Hello. How are you? Potato! So please have the political decency to free my donkey. Potato! I am on my way home. Potato! Excuse me, I don't understand what the butcher's son has to do with any of this. Potato! Potato! POTATO!

No comments: